Monday, June 5, 2006

Drain, Drain, Go Away...

These drains are a bit of a drag. Each one is a barrel-shaped plastic container about the size of a drinking glass with a tube connected to it. The tubes disappear into holes on the side of my chest. I have to carry these things around with me everywhere I go. Sit down, set the drains on the floor next to me. Get up, pick up the drains and take them with me.

I found a clever way to carry them around at home -- I got S-shaped hooks and hooked them onto the side belt loops on my shorts and hung the drains from them. That left my hands free to do things. The few times that I’ve gone out, I put them into a shoulder bag and carried the bag very close to my side so it would cover up the bloody tubes. Of course, if someone tried to steal my bag, he’d be in for a big, bloody surprise!

I wonder what other women do with their drains? Do they just stay home while they’re in? Or do they have other clever ways of hiding them? If so, why don’t they share such tips with other women? This is the sort of thing I should put on my future breast cancer resource center Web site. If I ever get around to it...

No comments: