Thursday, July 6, 2006

Radiation - Day 17

I met with my radiation oncologist today -- I see him once a week while I’m having radiation. He asked me if he could show my Blog entry (written after my first session) to the head radiotherapist. He said it would be interesting for them to see it from the patient’s point of view.

A few other people in the medical field have said that to me. Maybe patients should share their thoughts and feelings more often, because I often get the sense that people just aren’t talking enough -- on both sides of the treatment divide. I’m not asking for people to spill their guts and pour forth about mortality and fear of dying. I just wish people could be a bit more human, so that doctors and nurses think about what the patient is going through and patients think about how the treatment team might feel about facing people with such dire needs every working day.

No comments: