Friday, January 26, 2007

Am I Done Yet?

I wonder if cancer patients every get to a point when they completely forget they ever had cancer. When it’s so far in the past that it seems like another life and they’re done with that life forever. I wonder if I’m nearing that point.

Of course, not really, because I’m still battling our insurance company about my cancer bills. I still have a post-chemo rug on my head and scars on my chest. And, sad to say, I now have about a dozen new friends who are fellow cancer patients/survivors. I see them fairly regularly, and of course, we talk about what we have in common: cancer.

I wonder if I’ll wake up one day and decide I never want to see another cancer patient again; never talk about cancer again; never have anything more to do with cancer. That is, go back to pre-cancer life and pretend nothing’s happened.

When people live through horrific accidents, near-death experiences, loss of someone they love, any traumatic event, can they ever wake up one day and say, “Okay, I’m done with that part of my life now.”

Is there such a thing as post-traumatic stress syndrome for cancer patients?

No comments: