Friday, March 10, 2006

Pre-mastectomy Info Session

Met with surgeon today to get some info about mastectomy. My cancer is invasive (infiltrating) mammary cancer. It’s ductal, not lobular. If lobular, there’s a higher risk of cancer in the second breast.

I said I want to have a prophylactic mastectomy of the left breast anyway. I don’t want to take any chances and play the odds. Even if there’s just 0.07 percent chance of getting cancer in the other breast (which the previous surgeon said), I still don’t want that chance. Plus, if I decide later to have reconstruction, it’ll be easier to achieve symmetry if both breasts are being done.

No comments: