Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Test Results

The blood tests show that the white stuff in my lungs is NOT mycoplasma, which means it's cancer spreading further in the lungs. I knew this was cancer and not an infection, but I was really hoping to be wrong.

The good news is that one of my tumor markers has gone down:

Normal Ranges:
CEA ................ 0.0 - 4.7
CA 15.3 ........... 0.0 - 25.0
CA 125 ............ 0.0 - 35.0

Sept. 22, 2008
CEA ........... 21.2
CA 15.3 ..... 44.3
CA 125 ..... 362.6

Sept. 5, 2008
CEA ........... 19.3
CA 15.3 ..... 43.4
CA 125 ..... 496.9

With this mixed bag of results, it's too early to conclude that the current chemo isn't working. The plan now is for me to resume Ixempra tomorrow, but add Avastin to go with it. My doctor has also put me back on steroids (Dexamethasone) to strengthen my lungs and give me some relief from the pain in my chest.

I think I'll get through this rough patch. I've been through this before and I bounced back. One blog reader told me her father had a prognosis of six months but he kept deteriorating and bouncing back for over ten years. I look like a ball with my shiny bald head; I figure I can bounce like one. Boing, boing!

8 comments:

danchessari said...

Hi Shin,

Don't know what to say ? I think you are amazingly strong but who am I to say that. I don't know why I ever found myself on your blog but I am glad I did - I have never even met you but I am really rooting for you from over here..
I hope you don't mind me keeping in contact I just want you and the fam to know you have a total strangers support who is really hoping everything good for you

Take heaps of care !!!!!!!!!!

Dan

ALI KATI said...

Keep bouncing. xx

Francesca Giessmann said...

BOING... BOING.... BOING.. just keep bouncing!

Unknown said...

Of Course, you'll bounce and bounce back how!!I've full faith in your strength and your ability to bounce back...and I know you'll not disappoint (sorry the spelling might not be correct, i always forget if its a double s or a double p). Hey, that chin's got to be up. luv, alka

Anonymous said...

Shin is a boinger.

ALI KATI said...

@ Anonymous

That's a great word. That goes into my lexicon from now onwards.

Leighbee said...

You didn't comment on you vision problems? Was the Dr able to shed any light as to why you are having problems? I wonder if its due to the medication or whether the tumours are pushing on the optic nerve or similar. I do so hope that it is a "temporary condition" as I fully understand how disorientating it can be. xxx

Shin said...

Leighbee,

Good question. The blurry vision seems to kick in toward the latter part of the day and night and when I look at small print. I've been enlarging the text on my computer by three times and then the text is not so blurry.

Given that, and the fact that I have no other symptoms to indicate that my brain tumors are affecting my optic nerves (e.g., loss of balance, nausea and vomiting), we've decided to just monitor the situation closely. If it gets any worse, we'll do a CT scan to investigate further.