Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanks Giving Kids

We had Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house today. In the car on the way over, I tried to explain to Josie and Toby what was so special about today. The conversation went like this:

Me: Thanksgiving is a day when we think specially about things that we're thankful for. For example... I'm thankful for Toby and Josie, and Daddy, and...

Josie (interrupting): I'm thankful for all the loving and caring people in the world!

Toby: And I'm thankful for Mommy's huggies and kissies!

Wow. Weepy Mommy moment. I end my Thanksgiving Day here with happy tears. Good night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One day at the dinner table, my mom: "Let us pray. Dear God, thank you for this meal...,"

My dad (who obviously does not share the same faith): "What did HE do? I have to work to provide for the house!"

I intend to share with my mom your idea of a thanks list, & have her include my dad in it.

Thanks, Shin : )

Anonymous said...

It's always a great moment to know that the love you have shared with your family (especially your children) is deeply appreciated. : )

I am thankful to you, Shin, for reminding me with your courage that "Today is the best day of my life!"

Anonymous said...

Dear Shin,

I met some of my students who have left school. I asked them what they learnt at school. To my surprise, they told me friendship and relationships with classmates.

They never spoke about knowledge or skills they had acquired in their schools. It occurred to me that relationships are so important. The binding factors amongst people are love and a common direction in life.

Your children can remember love in the family and this gives them security and warm feelings within. I think your children will remember you - not so much for the things you give them but for the person that you are.